Saturday, May 8, 2010

questions/answers related to your research and inventory worksheets

Some of you have approached me with questions about your research and the format for turning in the hard copies (e-copy submission instructions are here.)  Electronic copies are due at 1 pm on Wednesday, May 12.

Hard copy submission is at 1:30 when class begins. Please submit each worksheet individually--that is with the three images of comparative objects (photocopied from your reference catalogs) stapled to the worksheet . I will need to know from which book (referenced on the worksheet) the photocopied images come, so be sure to either  photocopy the title page and submit this along with the image, OR simply write the reference on the photocopy of the image (I'll be able to correlate this easily with the appropriate reference on the corresponding worksheet).

Also, some of you have discovered that the work direction is mis-stated on the basket cards. Please use the terms leftward and rightward (per Shanks), and then in the NOTES, discuss the fact that the card reads "right to left" or "left to right," but that you suspect it is incorrect (if that is the case). Also use the NOTES section as a location to discuss any other discrepancies (but not the concordance, per se--as that is simply a quick reference we put together for you). Check all the sources against one another and if the concordance is the ONLY place with a number discrepancy, then assume it is a typo.

Some of you have apparently not discovered that the warp and weft materials for many of the baskets are listed in the e-catalog. Some of you have basket catalogs with none of this listed, but have found in your research that certain plants are typically the materials used in particular basket forms/contexts. The NOTES are a place to offer this information. You may also place it in the appropriate field above the NOTES and then offer a parenthetical statement such as (see NOTES).

If you have other questions, please let me know!

21 comments:

  1. References?

    For catalogs, we write...

    Last, first (author), YEAR. Art image, see description pg___, text pg___, additional illustrations_____.

    Is that close. I'm trying to follow my notes from class.

    Also, I might need to come by the museum tomorrow to look over my labels. (I think I looked at everything else last week.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I assuming the metrics are the measurements we care about. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I have filled out the research and inventory worksheet, twice now, and have no clue as to how to save it as research inventory worksheet, etc. When I hit the save icon it states you are not able to save the document,so I printed here. I also tried the pdf icon but it only came up as signing up for adobe. Please help this computer dummy:) Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try "save as" instead of "save."
    That's what I've been doing. I have to "replace" the previous document with my new altered one. It takes a little longer, but it's not too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should go to SacCT, open the blank document, and then save 3 copies to your desktop. Click the diskette icon and you will be able to then save to your desktop or someother location on your own computer. Re-title the first time as "Inventory Worksheet+YourName+1" (see previous blog post below), then hit save in the dialog box next to it. Then click on the diskette again, go down to the title field, locate the title you just entered in the drop down box, and change the number only to "2" and save. Continue this until you've downloaded 3 documents. If for some reason this isn't working for you, I can always send the blank document as PDF attachment, BUT--when you open it you'll have to go through the same process of "save as." BTW, thanks Laura for your correct response, above. The only thing I'd change (and that I tried to suggest 2 weeks ago in class), is that you have them as working docs for each object right there on your desktop, so you can reopen and edit as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to Laura's question about citing references. Here is the format (AAA w/minor modifications--in particular line spacing and the placement of the date in parenthesis):

    Miles, Charles (1963) Indian and Eskimo Artifacts of North America. New York: Legacy Press (text p. 117; image p. 124).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having trouble saving the typed info too. I only have adobe reader on my computer. I'm using Ryan's work computer - it has the professional version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It shouldn't make a difference as long as you download the file blank (by clicking on the diskette icon) and then changing the file extension. I've just tested this on another computer with Adobe Reader only.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have Adobe reader you can't save anything typed in on the form, even if you have saved the blank form to your computer. you get a warning: "data typed into this form will not be saved. adobe reader can only save a blank copy of this form. Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records."

    I googled "saving data in pdf form" and found this: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/8.0/Professional/help.html?content=WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7e0d.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay--gang; here's the scoop. If you do not have access to Adobe Professional (I think the university labs have these--but I will check tomorrow to be sure), then I will accept your handwritten version tomorrow--or a printed version (unsaved)??, and then you'll have until NEXT Wednesday at 11 am to send me an electronic copy. I think our ANTH lab probably has it. I'll check with Dr. Biskowski and Cristi in a minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm...maybe I'm doing something wrong. i just re-read your comments more carefully and saw that you were able to save with just adobe reader. I will play around with it more and try to figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. MND 1009, our department computer lab, has the full version of Adobe (and I imagine other labs do as well). For now, if you are having trouble, and cannot get it all squared away in terms of Adobe Reader or Professional, fill the form out, print it, append your images and bring them to class tomorrow. I'll get you into the lab between now and NEXT Wednesday at 11.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I googled "adobe reader professional free trial version" and then I downloaded it and filled out the sheets and I just got an email from Dr. C saying they went through ok.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just got back from classes and thank you to everyone for your imput. A group of us in Folklore this morning were discussing this issue and I see it has been resolved. I may try to download th professional version otherwise I will fill out and print forms and bring to class tomorrow and then enter info at the lab by next week per Dr. C's instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been able to save and edit my three documents on my Mac in the program Preview. But, I still have to "save as."

    Thank you for explaining the "references" break down. My notes were not as clear as I'd intended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. If the only notation of our items are in inches should we convert them... or plan on editing them once a measurement in centimeters is taken?

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Shawna--you did get the odd assortment of objects, didn't you (olla, dress, etc...). Just note that your measurements on those items are inches.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Also, those items that are not baskets, are there Museum cards (5x7) for them?

    ReplyDelete