Thursday, February 18, 2010

objects + 2 tasks

Okay everyone, I planned to work in the Museum for only a couple hours and ended up staying for six. What a production; many thanks to Shawna, Nessa and Marina  (and to Carolyn and Mel!) for the help. Be sure to log that time as lab hours. So, I think I've now pulled and photographed all of the artifacts (but, I am wondering if there aren't a few Cotton objects that didn't get selected; not everyone has posted their cat. numbers; please do that.) Check the smugmug gallery (upper-right side bar) to see if you can locate your assigned artifacts. I am slowly trying to place the catalog numbers into the caption, just haven't had enough time to finish--maybe this weekend.

I also photographed Joel S. Cotton, Jr.'s catalog (the little notebook in which he recorded his purchase dates, places, some weaver names, and prices.) You'll notice the mention on page 1 of "Dr. Hudson" and "Carl Purdy." I know who these guys are (and they figure into the history of the CA Indian basket/art market in significant ways), but I'd like to ask two students who still need a research or field project to volunteer to research ONE individual each for the purposes of the exhibit (and the accession records). 

Any takers? Undergrads, this is a good way to jump into the game!
"Dr. Hudson" (keywords--Pomo, Ukiah, physician, Grace Hudson)
"Carl Purdy" (keywords--ethnobotany, OutWest, California Indian basketry)

If you want one of these guys as a research project, say so in the comments so others will know they are taken.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to try, at least, to get some more information on carl purdy. The more the merrier tho, so anyone who wants to help please do! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see what I can find out about Dr. Hudson for the exhibit and accession records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you. Let me know if you need help. Basics (who, when, where, and how they relate to Native CA will be sufficient).

    ReplyDelete