Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Joel S. Cotton, Sr. (burial site, Sloughhouse diseño, geneaology)

Here is the link to the Pioneer Cemetery information I mentioned in class. I hope someone/several people will also go down to the California State Archives (Secretary of State's Office, 10th and O) to see if we can get a copy of the Sloughhouse diseño (or land grant). I used to work there and know that they have copies (if not originals) of many of these. They have a gorgeous research room (see if Jeff Crawford can help you, but any of the archivists will know what you a diseño is.). Tenth and O is also the location of the California Museum, where you can see this beautiful basket exhibit (some of you already saw this for ANTH 176). While you are at the State Archives (not the same as the California State Library or the Sacramento Library--both of which might also be helpful  (the Sacramento Room at the latter intitution,  in particular), you might want to see if the folks in the Root Cellar Family History Library can help with the Cotton genealogy. I've included some materials from Ancestry.com in the Cotton Accession/Donor File (will upload to SacCT shortly) that I printed out a hundred years ago. I will check again this week, to see if more kinship information  has become available on that site (I have a personal membership--so don't worry if you cannot access it without paying).

4 comments:

  1. If no one has volunteered to do this yet, I would love to go. I've never been to the state archives, but it sounds awesome. I don't have time this week, but I can get there next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be at the main library on Saturday, the 27th. I'll check out the Sacramento Room while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an update on my plans, I'll be going to the state archives tomorrow (Tuesday) to see about getting the Sloughhouse land grant. Is there anything else I should ask for while I'm there? I'm an archives novice, so I'm not sure what else would be of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. You might print out the list of names of people who settled and were buried there (from the link I provided above). Who knows, it might help them identify the original diseno grantee if they don't already know(it wouldn't be the Cotton family). Good luck and thanks!

    ReplyDelete