Sunday, February 28, 2010

featured exhibit object

I've been waiting to make sure everyone saw the deed of gift assignment, before starting a new discussion about which object will be highlighted in the artifact biography portion of the exhibit. As noted in Carrie's latest post, Mary originally suggested we think about using the McCloud burden basket, which certainly has a great deal to recommend it. However, in terms of lending itself to a NAGPRA discussion, it isn't as valuable as other objects in the collection might be. One component of Team 4's charge is to develop a narrative about the complexity of defining sacred objects and objects of cultural patrimony. Over the last couple weeks, I have had several conversations that have helped to shape my own ideas about the importance of the featured object. First, quite apart from the repatriation issues, Holly suggested we use an object that can be tied to a known weaver. Then Nessa and I had a discussion about ceremonial basket caps and repatriation as an area rich in research and consultation possiblilties. And then finally, on Friday, I talked to Mary about  Holly's most recent idea (which dovetails pretty nicely with Team 4's charge), and that is the idea that we focus on the "bride's cap" woven by Daisy Jacob. Mary agrees that having a known weaver enhances Team 1's interpretive scope. So, is this okay with everyone? I am not sure what the BAS number is (and need to make sure it actually came to us--see Cottons' notepad on smugmug),  but if that doesn't work, then we can go with the widow's cap. Meanwhile, I will be in the museum tomorrow from 1:30 till about 3:30 if you need to stop by.

4 comments:

  1. Your suggestion is fine with me, but I would like the rest of group 4 to chime in before a decision is made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Castaneda, You already know and posted by opinion, so here is my yes vote.

    ReplyDelete