ETA: Petras--found the image (see below) and uploaded it. If you guys decide to use it, you should take a flashdrive to the state library research room and download an original of the newspaper article.
As promised in yesterday's meeting, I have scanned and uploaded to smugmug some of the materials we talked about--most especially the Hupa 'widow's cap' catalog cards (both "Sacramento State College" small white card, and the more recent [1980s] blue card from the basket series). I will store them here for you to access for your storyboard and for the exhibit itself. I don't know that we will use the particular Cottton labels that I have scanned. More likely we will use the one from the actual widow's cap (along with the other related tags affixed under university ownership), but those I have uploaded give us a sense of how large we can go with a tag or label image without too much distortion (Team 2 will likely feature the widow's cap label in their discussion as well--that is good for continuity; visitor's will find it easier to follow the storyline with some small bits of repetition). Petras, I am going to look for my copy of the Chico State newspaper image of Larry [Lawrence] Dawson and weavers. It is a bazillionth generation copy, though, so I hope you've been able to find a better one on Calisphere. Shawna, Dr. Beeson's letter about some Cotton Collection baskets being on display at CalExpo was dated 1971. Also, I scanned the other exhibit photograph from the files. It is so small that I don't know how well it will enlarge, but you can see it on smugmug. I will look for the original snapshots from the 2002 exhibit photos you found on the museum archive. Once you get the old campus maps from Special Collections, I'm sure Dr. Johnson could help you determine (at least generally) the various locations of the anthropology collections throughout the years. Amanda, let me know if you have questions about the exhibit chronology.
As promised in yesterday's meeting, I have scanned and uploaded to smugmug some of the materials we talked about--most especially the Hupa 'widow's cap' catalog cards (both "Sacramento State College" small white card, and the more recent [1980s] blue card from the basket series). I will store them here for you to access for your storyboard and for the exhibit itself. I don't know that we will use the particular Cottton labels that I have scanned. More likely we will use the one from the actual widow's cap (along with the other related tags affixed under university ownership), but those I have uploaded give us a sense of how large we can go with a tag or label image without too much distortion (Team 2 will likely feature the widow's cap label in their discussion as well--that is good for continuity; visitor's will find it easier to follow the storyline with some small bits of repetition). Petras, I am going to look for my copy of the Chico State newspaper image of Larry [Lawrence] Dawson and weavers. It is a bazillionth generation copy, though, so I hope you've been able to find a better one on Calisphere. Shawna, Dr. Beeson's letter about some Cotton Collection baskets being on display at CalExpo was dated 1971. Also, I scanned the other exhibit photograph from the files. It is so small that I don't know how well it will enlarge, but you can see it on smugmug. I will look for the original snapshots from the 2002 exhibit photos you found on the museum archive. Once you get the old campus maps from Special Collections, I'm sure Dr. Johnson could help you determine (at least generally) the various locations of the anthropology collections throughout the years. Amanda, let me know if you have questions about the exhibit chronology.
i am so glad yo ufound that photo because i looked all over and came up with no photo! i thought for sure i could find one but it was much more difficult than i anticipated.
ReplyDelete