Wednesday, March 3, 2010

inventory and photo gallery news

First, I spent the day (all day!) trying to verify that we did not receive the 'bride's cap.' No, we did not, as best I can tell. It is listed on none of the accession-related documents--only in JS, Jr.s notepad. Also, I have discovered/determined that in the late 1980s, perhaps before, several items in the museum's permanent collection were incorrectly attributed to the Cotton Collection.  Therefore, I have removed them from smugmug. If you drew these numbers, I will be assigning you new objects, there are a couple Cotton baskets left to be researched.

Items withdrawn from Smugmug:
Two Plateau beaded bouches (Marina and Stacey drew these; both are incorrectly attributed to Cotton).
Basketry chain (99% sure this was also a misattribution).

Added to Smugmug:  2 new photographs (last two images)
1) a page missing (my fault) from the Cotton notepad (his page 2). This is just an iPhone image, so very fuzzy. Tomorrow I will replace it with a high quality image. But, you'll see that JS, Jr.s #3 is a Hupa cap (Nessa drew this) purchased from Carl Purdy in 1905.
2) a hand-written note from Dr. Norman Cotton about three remaining (Makah) baskets to be placed with the collection he had donated in the 1960s. It provides some information about his ancestors (just a bit).

See you tomorrow. We will meet in 4005 so that I can collect the D of G assignment, before heading down to the museum.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for verification that Cotton was related to Jared Sheldon! I thought they were, but it's nice to see proof.

    That's too bad about the bride cap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I mentioned the other day, let me know if you need any help in the museum. [It'd be great for lab hours but also to work more hands-on or even a better understanding of the process and collection] Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miranda, I can put you to work on Friday, Monday or Tuesday (if you're not swamped doing storyboards/Team 2 tasks).

    ReplyDelete